Fried Green Tomatoes
are a culinary dish usually found in the Southern United States made from unripe green tomatoes.
The green tomatoes are often served in southern restaurants as a side or a topping of Sandwiches and Burgers.
The tomatoes are quite tasty!
Green tomatoes are a very good source of ‘Vitamin A’, ‘Vitamin C’ and Potassium.
The tomatoes coated with cornmeal or gram flour. Fried green tomatoes have a little sour, tangy flavor, and crunchy.
- 3 fresh green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup gram floor
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp salt (or as required)
- Oil for deep fry
Let’s start the recipe.
3 / 7
Coating Preparation :
Slice the tomatoes gently in thick pieces (not so thick nor so thin).
- Take a bowl and add all purpose flour then add the gram flour, black pepper and salt. Mix all the dry ingredients well.
- Coating dust is ready.
Let’s move to another step.
- Take a bowl and add milk,egg, pinch of salt and whisk it properly with the help of whisker/fork/or spoon (whatever you had at home).
- The batter is ready.
Coating Process :
- Take a slice of green tomatoes and start coat with flour dust. (the dust we prepare earlier with floors pepper and salt).
- Then coat a tomato slice with egg mixture.
- Now again coat tomatoes with flour.
- Press the tomato slice in dust and coat nicely.
- 4 / 7
- Then put the tomatoes on a plate.
- Now coat the rest of the tomatoes by repeating the same procedure and leave for 5 minutes.
- Coated tomatoes ready to fry.
Frying process :
- Turn on the gas flame and put a pan on it.
- Pour the oil into the pan and let it heat.
- Now put the coated green tomatoes carefully on the low flame.
- Slightly stir continuously and flip the tomatoes.
- Fry until both sides turn into brown color.
- (This procedure will take around 8-10 minutes.)
- Now turn off the flame and take all the fries out on tissue paper.
- The green tomatoes are ready to eat.
- Serve hot.
Another way for Fry Green tomatoes is Air fryer.
If you are health conscious then you can use air fryer too and avoid deep frying process.
5 / 7
An air fryer is a small countertop convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without submerging the food in oil. A fan circulates hot air at high speed, producing a crisp layer.
By using just 1 tablespoon of cooking oil rather than multiple cups, a person can produce similar results as a deep fryer.
When used properly, air fryers offer many healthful benefits:
- Using air fryers can promote weight loss.
- Switching from deep-fried foods to air-fried foods and reducing regular intake of unhealthful oils can promote weight loss.
- Air fryers can be safer than deep fryers.
- Air fryers do get hot, there is no risk of spilling, splashing, or accidentally touching hot oil.
- People should use frying machines carefully and follow instructions to ensure safety.
- Replacing deep frying with other cooking methods can reduce a person’s risk of these complications.
Method for air fry ‘Fried Green Tomatoes’ :
Step 1 :
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Brush the fryer basket with olive oil.
- Place Tomato slices in the fryer basket, making sure they do not touch each other (cook in batches if necessary).
- Brush the tops of tomatoes with olive oil.
Step 2 :
- Cook for 12 minutes, then flip the tomatoes and brush again with olive oil.
- Cook until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove tomatoes to tissue paper on a plate to keep crisp. Repeat with the remaining tomatoes.
- Fried green tomatoes are ready to eat.
One more way to fry Green Tomatoes is ‘Non Stick Pan’.
7 / 7
- Place a non-stick pan on gas and turn the flame on and add few drops of oil.
- Now add coated green tomatoes one by one on low flame and cover the pan with a lid and leave for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes press the tomatoes gently and flip.
- Again cover the pan with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Now turn off the flame and place all the fried green tomatoes on a paper on a plate.
- Ready to serve.
(You can serve the tomatoes with sauce)